Thursday, May 24, 2007

VOICES: THE FAVORITE BOOK(S) OF READERS IN SPi REVEALED !!!


"Mine is The Little Prince because of its simplicity - simple words, photos, storyline, yet it has the ability to touch one's heart for those who take the time to really read it deeply." - Jacquiline Dy, Journals


"(The) Lord of the Rings (series). well crafted world of make believe., complete with details - language, history, mythology." - Luz Desquitado, Journals


The Wedding by Nicholas Sparks. One of the most romantic ever on how a man revived and celebrated his love for his wife.” - Christian Arman Arile, Journals

Biography books because it is the only way to get to know some of the bad and great people who walked on earth. “ - Espie Vitug, Executive Office


"For me, nothing beats (yet) J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter Series. The way she makes twists and turns, and the descriptive words she uses... she makes my imagination go beyond the limits." - Mary Grace Reytiran, Content

"The Summer That Was by Sandra Scoppettone. I lost the book in college because I lent it. Hindi masyadong kilala ang author, but I swear it was a good book and I am still looking for a copy so I can share it to my children! [A good book] is one that has made an impact on you and has somehow influenced your values in life.” - Lisa Austria, Healthcare

"My favorite books are biographies, whether of famous or common people. I learn from them about how to handle the different situations of life." - Rose Sibug, Healthcare


Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel. Of course kasi nai-imagine ko na yung protagonist ay ako tapos ang galing ng pagsulat ng author.” - Kathy Nogrado, Healthcare


"Memoirs of a Geisha [by Arthur Golden]. Kasi ang dami kong natutunan about geishas. I also love Tuesdays with Morrie kasi for every chapter may lesson about life. And of course I super duper love Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus. Not all the contents are true. Natutuwa lang ako sa mga theories niya.” - Michelle Guartico, Healthcare

"Books by Nicholas Sparks and Sidney Sheldon. I love to read love stories." - Carol Acebron, Legal

"The Alchemist by (Paolo) Coelho. It is inspirational and moving, not to mention that it's very easy to read. It conveys its message without being overly stylistic."
- Biboy Calleja, Journals

"A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks. The story makes me smile and then it makes me cry. Nakaka in-love, and the ending is not predictable; unexpected!" - Jomai Torbela, Content


“My favorite book would be Paolo Coelho’s The Alchemist. Its profound message of living your ‘personal legend’ gave me the determination and the drive to keep on pursuing my dreams no matter how hard they may be [to achieve]. It simply gave my life meaning and purpose.” - Carl Martin Jimenez, Journals


"Angela’s Ashes by Frank McCourt. It didn’t need to use flowery, poetic words to be deep, witty and inspiring. He’s just like casually talking about his childhood.” - Regina Bongat, Healthcare


The Naughtiest Girl in the School by Enid Blyton. It really got me into reading. I read it noong grade school pa ako. Siguro yung pagkaaliw ko ‘dun sa story I thought I’d find in every book I’d read kaya yun! I like Matilda also. Children’s lit yata ang gusto ko, ha ha!”Joyce Guevarra, Healthcare


Welcome to the Monkey House by Kurt Vonnegut. It’s an anthology of short stories. It’s rare to have an anthology in which I find all the stories excellent.”Mahros Abaño, Healthcare

When Lightning Strikes. It’s a romance novel. Not actually my favorite, but I like the plot of the story.”Fem Tipo, Content

Trivia [books] and almanacs are the best! I also like the Guinness 2007 [issue].”Joeven Gonzales, Healthcare


“Paborito kong aklat ay Candide ni Voltaire. Kung comics naman, Calvin and Hobbes.”JP Canivel, Content


"By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept by Paolo Coelho. Cathartic." - Dai Miranda, Journals


"100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. It's the book that ends with the beginning. Read it!" - Ivy San Diego, Journals


______________________________
READVOLUTION UPDATE:

The two Writers Guild Readvolution Bookcases are now with Content. Bookcase One (B1) is with the Lexis Nexis account (3/F) and Bookcase 2 (B2) is on the 4/F.

Librarians for Content:

JP Canivel (Direct 8558728, Local 20728)
Tina Liwag (0918.508.3855)
Evita Maniago (0919.637.5930)
Mylene Solete

Next stop
: Support, July-August 2007

Contact person: Pia Manzano, Readvolution's über-friendly Chief Librarian

No comments: